[Specifynews] Seasons Greetings from the Specify Software Project

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Fri Dec 21 11:39:19 CST 2007

Greetings Specify Community!

We on the Specify Software Project would like to acknowledge how much we
have enjoyed working with you this year and how much we look forward to
additional productive collaboration in 2008.

As you may know, we have been occupied for two years working on a wholly
new version of Specify--moving to a new software architecture and
language, Java.  The requirements analysis, design and implementation
investment we have made with NSF support, will pay off in 2008 with a
beautiful, highly-usable and customizable product that will take
collections computing to the next level. Specify 6 will run on all three
popular desktop systems, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and it will make
routine collections data management easy and efficient. The new Specify
platform will also be a powerful jumping off point for Internet data
interactions and integration with network services.  Specify 6 will be a
key technology for collections, it will be imbued in the context of
collaborative network computing.

As 2007 ends, we still have some significant pieces to finish with
Specify 6, although we have an in-house alpha version which is beginning
to look like a product. Our software engineers are working in parallel
on several fronts to complete the final assembly, notably with user
interface graphic design and icons, documentation, the query builder,
security, and report writer integration.  We have made huge advances
with the user interface, internal architecture, and with the
enhancements to the Specify data model to better accomodate many
technical and user requirements.  Specify 6 will be an extensible,
scalable platform which will support the collaborative development of
plug-in modules for user interface and major functionality extensions.

We wish we had a firm release date to offer in the holiday spirit, but
we can say that we are planning to have Specify 6 shipping in the first
half of the 2008.  Our estimate has been pushed back a little but we are
on track for what will be a highly useful, transformative, contribution
to biodiversity collections computing.

Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year!

Specify Software Team
www.specifysoftware.org