[Specifynews] Specify Fala em Português

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Mon Nov 1 17:59:06 CDT 2010

Specify Release 6.2.06: Specify Fala em Português

The Specify Project is delighted to announce the fruit of a collaboration among collections scientists in Portugal, Brasil, and the United States--Specify speaks Portuguese. As a joint effort, we translated or "localized" the Specify user interface and database schema to Portuguese and cleared a path for additional language versions of Specify software.

The Specify Project Staff is proud to have had as collaborators in this effort, researchers at the Instituto de Investigação Científica Tropical, Lisbon, Portugal including: Rui Figueira (Lead and Specify Collaborator of the Year for 2010), Luís Catarino, and Margarida Pinheiro, as well as collections scientists Itamar Barbosa de Lima of the Universidade Federal da Paraíba, Brazil, and Daniel Trusman (and others) of the Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia (INPA), Manaus, Brazil.

We would also like to acknowledge our ongoing collections informatics collaboration with Laurindo Campos, Núcleo de BioGeo Informática, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia, Manaus, and our upcoming training collaboration with museum scientists at Museu Paraense Emílio Goeldi, Belem.

The Portuguese version of Specify includes essentially the entire user interface, including menus, database fields, data form labels, and the Specify Installation Wizard. Most users of the Portuguese version will see no English. Here is how Specify looks in Portuguese:

Installing Specify in Portuguese

For workstations running Portuguese versions of Windows, Linux or Mac OS X, and installing Specify 6 for the first time, the Specify Installer and Installation Wizard will operate in Portuguese and if one creates a new database, it will automatically use the Portuguese schema.

For workstations with English Specify already installed, running a Portuguese or English operating system, a few steps need to be taken to translate Specify into Portuguese. We will place those instructions on using those schema in the documentation page on the site this week.

For users with existing Specify 6 databases in PT the full schema and WorkBench Schemas can be downloaded here:

http://specify6.specifysoftware.org/Sp6Schema_pt.xml <http://specify6.specifysoftware.org/Sp6Schema_pt.xml>
http://specify6.specifysoftware.org/Sp6SchemaWB_pt.xml <http://specify6.specifysoftware.org/Sp6SchemaWB_pt.xml>

Note: Specify 6.2.06 also includes several bug fixes, all installations should upgrade to this release. Specify 6.2.06 does not update the structure of the Specify database schema--no data tables or data fields are modified. Release 6.2.06 also does not automatically change Specify's language, Portuguese is available, but the default installation/update language is English. We will put instructions on how to change an existing Specify installation to Portuguese on the Specify web site this week.