[Specify Software Project News] Specify Software Project: Announcing Specify 7.2 Software Release

Theresa Miller support at specifysoftware.org
Mon Sep 19 11:38:41 CDT 2016

The Specify Software Project is pleased to announce Specify 7.2 an update
to our web platform for biological collections data. The new release,
obtainable from the Specify GitHub repository (
https://github.com/specify/specify7), has been in development for several
months and includes numerous enhancements and engineering fixes.

This release adds capabilities to mirror those found in Specify 6 (Mac OS,
Windows and Linux).  Specify 7 operates exclusively through a web browser
with no software installation, and its user interface and report
customizations work identically in both workstation and web releases.

Specify 6 and 7 also use the same database design and in some deployment
configurations they can be used simultaneously with a Specify database.
Specify 7 will be our software platform for future innovation and
integration, and we encourage Specify 6 sites to consider adopting Specify
7.

Institutions may install their own Specify 7 server or U.S. research
collections can avail themselves of SpecifyCloud hosting which eliminates
the need for local server hardware, network and database systems management.

Some of the visible changes in this Specify 7 update include:

   - Tree data views for Taxon, Storage Location, Geography and
   Paleontology data have been upgraded with adjustable columns and by the
   addition of Merge, Move and Synonymize functions.  These capabilities match
   Specify 6’s tree handling capabilities with small differences in the style
   of screen interaction.
   - Data subforms such as Determination, Collecting Event and Preparations
   are now embedded within the base forms and open inline instead of popping
   open new windows. This streamlines data entry and makes editing more fluid.
   - Subform views can now be easily flipped between form and grid views,
   facilitating access to multiple related data records.
   - We added popup warning windows if a user attempts to exit a browser
   window with a partially-finished data entry form or task.  This will help
   avoid accidental abandonment of incomplete data records and
   partially-completed tasks.
   - Collection login options are now filtered so that users at
   institutions with multiple Specify 7 databases see only those for which
   they have an account.
   - Compatibility with Internet Explorer has been improved.
   - Images are now embeddable in reports.
   - We styled the look and feel of Specify 7’s web interface. Orange is
   the new orange.

Those are some of the visible improvements in the current release in
addition to invisible upgrades to software components. We thank our Specify
Technical Liaisons for their ongoing feedback and advice.

Contact us with suggestions and comments at: support at specifysoftware.org,
or call +1 785 864-4400.  For technical installation or software
engineering matters, consider posting an issue on the Specify 7 GitHub code
repository (https://github.com/specify/specify7) which will come to the
attention of our developers.

Specify
​Software Project​