[Specify Software Project News] Specify Collection Consortium New Release: Specify 6.7 (Batch Editing)

James Beach beach at specifysoftware.org
Fri Apr 13 16:39:38 CDT 2018

The Specify Collection Consortium is pleased to announce an update to the
Specify 6 collection management platform. In development for almost nine
months, this release adds a significant new capability: Batch Editing. The
Specify 6 web site “Downloads” page (www.sustain.specifysoftware.org)
includes a link to the Specify 6.7.00 Windows, macOS, and Linux installer
packages.

Batch Editing is a powerful capability for bulk changes to Specify core
data tables. It will be particularly useful for enhancing data quality by
correcting inconsistencies and by bulk filling empty data fields. The
editing process begins with a query on one of five tables: Agent,
Collecting Event, Collection Object, Locality, or Preparation. Embedded
context sensitive help for Batch Editing is included within Specify, and we
produced a video introduction, accessible at: https://vimeo.com/264674965.

Batch Editing is capable of changing thousands of records with a few mouse
clicks. It is important to have a basic understanding of core Specify data
table relationships before using it. Once changes are reviewed and applied,
they become permanent. This major new tool will complement Specify’s data
entry, and upload capabilities by providing a mechanism for the review of
thousands of records at a time, and the application of any changes and
corrections to those records in one easy edit transaction. In this release,
Batch Editing is available to Manager and Administrator level users.

Specify 6.7 also updates the database schema to add several requested data
fields. And the release fixes several engineering defects.

We hope you are as enthused as we are with the enabling power and ease of
use of the Batch Editing feature. We would be delighted to receive your
feedback.

If we can help evaluate Specify for your collection or if you would like to
know more about our transformation to the Specify Collection Consortium, we
invite you to reach out. We would be happy to talk with you about these or
other Specify issues.

Specify Collection Consortium Team

--

Specify Collection Consortium