A new British 'Taxacom'

JOSEPH H. KIRKBRIDE jkirkbride at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Mon Nov 2 12:24:00 CST 1992

Dear all

Im sending this message to inform you of the creation of a UK based plant
taxonomy email list. It is being run from the UK Mailbase server (modelled on
the US Listserv).

in order to join the ranks of this mailing list

send an email to

mailbase at uk.ac.mailbase
(or mailbase at mailbase.ac.uk from the Internet)

containing the following

JOIN PLANT-TAXONOMY Firstname Lastname

You should then receive a load of bumf, detailing how to use Mailbase, and its
online service. The more
 Plant taxonomists we can get onto this list the
better the quality of the discussions. Hopefully any ILDIS members who have
access to the net will join and will make passing messages and ideas around
much quicker.

                    User Commands Reference Card      June 1992
                    ****************************

Copyright the JNT Networked Information Services Project, 1992 The Computing
Service, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

This is the on-line version of the referenc
e card - a formatted copy may be
obtained from NISP: send your e-mail request to
                mailbase-helpline at uk.ac.mailbase

If you are not the type of person to plough through a lengthy document and
just want to get started, this card may provide you with all the information
you need. If you require a comprehensive introduction to Mailbase you may
retrieve the User's Guide by sending the following command in an e-mail
message to mailbase at uk.ac.mailbase
                 send mailbase
user-guide

                      Welcome to Mailbase
                      *******************

Mailbase  is an electronic information service which allows UK groups to
manage their own discussion topics (Mailbase lists) and associated files.

The Mailbase service is run as part of the JANET Networked Information
Services Project (NISP) based at Newcastle University. If you are new to
Mailbase you may find it useful to read through some other Mailbase documents.

Other documents

For a
list of on-line documentation about Mailbase, send  the following
command in an e-mail message to:
        mailbase at uk.ac.mailbase

           index mailbase

You can then use the "send" command to retrieve those documents that interest
you.

Support  from Mailbase

The "help" command returns a brief list of the current Mailbase commands. If
"command" is used then a more detailed description is given.

Example:     help review
Will return information on the command review.

If you h
ave problems with Mailbase first  contact your List Owner for help:
the address is:

               listname-request at uk.ac.mailbase
where listname is the name of your chosen list.

For example to contact the List Owner for the list chest-dtp, the address
would be:
          chest-dtp-request at uk.ac.mailbase

If you are still having difficulty send an e-mail message to:
               mailbase-helpline at uk.ac.mailbase

explaining the problem - we will do our best to help.

           Sending Mailbase Commands
                      *************************

This card provides a summary of the commands needed to use a Mailbase
discussion list.

Commands should be sent as an electronic mail message to:
             mailbase at uk.ac.mailbase

More than one command may appear in a message to Mailbase; They may be in any
order, in UPPER, lower, or MiXeD case. If you normally terminate your e-mail
messages with a signature, please use stop after the final command sent
mailbase. As an example, if you wish to join an open list, then depending upon
the type of mail system your mail message should look similar to the
following.

|   mail message                                                           |