Geographic Name Server

FYHERB at ACAD3.ALASKA.EDU FYHERB at ACAD3.ALASKA.EDU
Wed Nov 11 14:45:09 CST 1992

If this was previously announced here, I missed it. Makers of distribution
maps will want to know about the Geographic Name Server, Copyright 1992
Regents of the University of Michigan. If you have access to telnet (that is
if you are on the internet) enter telnet martini.eecs.umich.edu 3000. When
connected you can enter '?' or 'help' for assistance or 'info' for news and
hints. Basically you enter a place name (mainly in U.S. for now but with plans
for expansion soon) and get information including county, elevation, latitude
and longitude, as well as other things not useful for mapping. I just tried it
and found it very useful. --Barbara Murray