Message for posting

Debbie Kama kama at MOBOT.MOBOT.ORG
Fri Aug 6 10:20:53 CDT 1993

I have the sad duty of reporting that Dr. Alwyn Gentry, a member of our
research staff for 21 years, was killed in an airplane crash in western
Ecuador on August 3, 1993.  Four of the seven passengers in the plane
died in the crash; they were doing assessments of tropical forests for
conservation purposes, on assignment from Conservation International.
Al was 48 years old, and leaves behind his wife Rosa and three children
from previous marriages.  We shall miss him greatly, as a colleague and
as a friend.  A memorial service will be held at the Garden on Friday,
August 20, 1993, in the Schoenberg Auditorium, at 10:30 A.M.

Peter H. Raven
Director
Missouri Botanical Garden