species authorities

Julian Humphries jmh3 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue Aug 10 10:30:10 CDT 1993

>Matt
>
>The response to your question below is pragmatic and perhaps a little
>outrageous.  I have copied it to TAXACOM to see how other people feel
>about author names.  Personally, I feel the world would be a gentler,
>kinder place without them (author names, but probably people too).

(oh, and I forgot, also for the gratuitious glorification
of erudite and distinguished botanists)

Glad to see the shy and elusive Jim Croft is back on the net with a subtle
opinion.

I wholeheartly support the concept of using binomials sans authors.  For
example, the botanical labels I have seen are awash with information that
no doubt is inconsistent at best and wrong at worst.  Committing the
information about authorship to a permanent label only assures that someone
in the future will be confused by our ignorance.

By the way zoologists are far less prone to gratuitously including authors
in no systematic pubications and never include the author who put the
species in its current genus.   Of course the whole point of abbreviations
is because of the overuse of authors in non-systemtatic papers where space
about such trivial matters must be minimized.  Leave 'em out.

Julian Humphries
The Vertebrate Collections and The MUSE Project, Cornell University
Building 3, Research Park
83 Brown Road
Ithaca, NY  14850

Voice: 607-257-8143