Cladistics

David G Green David.Green at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed May 12 13:34:14 CDT 1993

Donald Johnston writes ...

>  I am interested in acquiring a DOS compatible program that will
>  allow me to construct trees based on sequence comparisons.
>  Is there a shareware or freeware program for this kind of analysis?

Two of the most widely used, and freely available, programs are ....

    clustalv
    phylip

Both of these are available for PC and Unix systems.
Harvard University's "Genetic Data Environment" (GDE) bundles up
both of the above and much more.

We make these and other programs available on our system ...
site = life.anu.edu.au,
path = /pub/molecular_biology/software

Also look at the following sites, amongst others:
   fly.bio.indiana.edu
   evolution.bchs.uh.edu and
   sunsite.unc.edu

Dr Georg Weiller (weiller at life.anu.edu.au) has developed an
interactive "Phylogenetic Workbench", which provides a range of
software tools to help carry out taxonomic analyses and
interpretations. His software (for DOS PCs) will be released
later this year.

name            Dr David G. Green
address         Research School of Biological Sciences &
                Centre for Information Science Research
                Australian National University
                GPO Box 475  Canberra 2601 AUSTRALIA
email           David.Green at anu.edu.au
phone           61-6-249-2490 / 249-5031 / 249-5111 (switch)
fax             61-6-249-4437