Mapping Program

Bohart Museum (Dave Carmean) bohart at UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri May 7 12:56:25 CDT 1993

Versamap is a very inexpensive DOS mapping program that can be
used for making distribution maps. It accepts lat-longitude input and
it is possible to vary the symbols for different taxa.  I believe it is
competitive with the much higher priced mapping programs.  The maps I
have used with the program have international and U.S. state borders
(Canadian provinces and new eastern european countries are to be added);
major rivers, lakes and islands.  You define any rectangle you wish
to map by giving the latitude and longitude borders.  You would have
to supply your own maps for local distributions.

Here are some quotes from a letter of the author of the shareware program:

"New features included in version 1.20 are (1) the ability to save your map
design in a configuration file for later recall; (2) the ability to export
maps as .CGM vector graphics files; and (3) the ability to import U.S.
Geological Survey Digital Line Graph map data, which cover the entire
U.S. and are available on CD-ROM from the Geological Survey."

"You asked about plotting continental drift through time with Versamap.  To
do this you would have to have a digitized world map for each period that
you wished to plot.  I suspect that someone, somewhere, has a set of
digital data showing continental positions over time.  If you can find
such a set of data, I would be glad to convert it to a format that
Versamap can plot.  Perhaps you could post a message on INTERNET asking
if anyone has such a data set." [Is there such data?]

"The [earlier] contrast problems with monochrome EGA have been corrected."

"Version 1.20, released September 1992, is the most recent version of
Versamap.  Registration of the program is $15 in the U.S. and Canada, and
$20 in other countries.  Version 1.20 can be downloaded from CompuServe;
it is contained in the self-extracting file VMAPS.EXE, in the Gen. Apps
(A) section of the IBM Applications Forum."

"[Versamap runs]...on a Macintosh SE/30, using a program called SoftAT
...emulates CGA and EGA displays.. the EGA emulation is too slow to be
useful."

The author's name and address is:
Charles Culberson
8 Ritter Lane
Newark, DE  19711
USA

[I do not know the author and should not benefit from this]
Dave Carmean
dacarmean at ucdavis.edu