DIANA stuff...

maurobio at AX.APC.ORG maurobio at AX.APC.ORG
Tue Apr 5 11:58:35 CDT 1994

Dear Enthusiastic DELTA Users,

I'm really impressed by your interest in DIANA! But I think I'm running
into problems, regarding its distribution via e-mail...

This early morning (about 02:00 AM - yes, Rick++, this is our way of
working...), I send uuencoded copies to the following users:

      ecoman at cats.ucsc.edu       <Steve Dennis>
      maba at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu      <Manuel Balcazar-L.>
      tdunc at ucjeps.Berkeley.edu  <Tom Duncan>
      fredr at henson.cc.wwu.edu    <Fred Rhoades>
      matt at maties.sun.ac.za      <Matt Buys>
      septate at tamsun.tamu.edu    <Richard Clopton>
      bruceh at ento.csiro.edu      <Bruce Halliday>

I pray you for sending me a short message, stating if you could get the
uuencoded file and have been able to uudecode and run it!

Regarding people in Australia, our stupid machine is refusing to send
e-mail directly to there - the Postmaster has rejected the message to
Bruce, tolding about a 'illegal host name' or something like that (be
sure - that stupid program is *not* object-oriented!). But don't worry,
Roberta 'Possum' Cowan, DIANA will reach you, sooner or later...

(By the way, where's Mike Dallwitz???? I'm sure he could help me now,
because some months ago we exchanged binary uuencoded files without any
problem...)

So, I propose the following strategy: I'll send the program on diskette
via snail-mail (ugh!) for all people who i) have sent me her or his
*complete* snail-mail address and ii) have not stated if can receive and
decode the uuencoded file (where are you, *Mary Barkworth*?). I'll post
a list of these people tomorrow. In the end, the gastropoda are always
the winners (no, I don't study them!). In this post, I'll also put some
statistics regarding the geographical distribution of the interested
people. I would also like to put her or his names and addresses in full -
please tell me if I can *do* this (that is, sometimes I don't know if I'm
violating some netiquette rule - if so, please sorry me! The point is that
in my opinion the really best thing about Internet is its power of
linking people all over the world as if they were in the same
institution... I love this!).

All the best, and do keep in touch!

Prof. Mauro J. Cavalcanti            Phone     : 55 (021) 551-5542 ext 148
Departamento de Biologia Geral       Home phone: 55 (021) 594-4745
Centro de Ciencias Biologicas        E-mail    : maurobio at ax.apc.org
Universidade Santa Ursula                        maurobio at ibase.br
Rua Fernando Ferrari, 75 - Botafogo
22231-030, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, BRASIL

PS Sorry for posting this message to the entire TAXACOM list, but I have
no other way of sending this at the same time to all interested people...