To All Interested in the DIANA Program

maurobio at AX.APC.ORG maurobio at AX.APC.ORG
Tue Apr 5 01:23:57 CDT 1994

Dear Computer Taxonomists,

In three days I have received twenty-two requests for the DIANA
program! I will try to accept *all* these requests, some of them
'a la gastropoda' (gosh, Fred!).

I agree the best way to distribute the program would be uploading
it to a public area in an FTP site (muchas gracias for this suggestion,
Manuel!), but at the present stage I prefer that some *interested* people
who are really using DELTA (like all of you!) test it before I can
release an 'official' version. Further, I have no direct access to FTP
(and this can be the case of other people over the net too).

Now, be sure that 'uudecoding' a binary file is not so difficult - there
are *several* utilities for doing this all over the world. Those of you
who have access to Gopher (the greatest invention after the wheel
itself!) can find these easily (if not already available at your local
computer centre). A good site to get them, for example, is the
'Computational Biology' area of the Welchlab at Johns Hopkins University
(Maryland/USA/North America). Look at the 'SIMTEL Oakland mirror' area -
and you will find a true mine of gold in public domain and shareware
software...

I have also find that some of you speak Spanish (and even Portuguese!).
Well, at present DIANA is available only in English (hopefully a clear
one!), but a Portuguese version could be easily produced (I don't know
Spanish, but perhaps some of you could offer to translate the program...).

Many thanks!

Prof. Mauro J. Cavalcanti            Phone     : 55 (021) 551-5542 ext 148
Departamento de Biologia Geral       Home phone: 55 (021) 594-4745
Centro de Ciencias Biologicas        E-mail    : maurobio at ax.apc.org
Universidade Santa Ursula                        maurobio at ibase.br
Rua Fernando Ferrari, 75 - Botafogo
22231-030, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, BRASIL