arbitration please

Donald Glasco donald at ERIN.GOV.AU
Fri Apr 8 14:21:04 CDT 1994

Australian cavers have been seeing, and apparantly drinking, some strange
things underground, but can't agree on the proper names. Thought we'd ask
the experts for advice. Following is a condensed version of the debate so far.
Perhaps some experts in the taxonomic community can settle this debate by
providing correct taxonomic name, author, and description of things that
go bump in the dark.
Cheers, Don Glasco <donald at erin.gov.au>

"...the maze area at Mount Fairy also was protected by a HUGE
FAT HAIRY Wombat, everyone thought it was cute, but it impeded
exploration of the cave...The Guide book mentions you need wombat repellant!
Outdoor shops should stock this as standard!" Chris Bradley

"Recently on a trip to the Nullarbor we came across a "womat" hole
that you could walk into!!  I for one will be staying away from holes
that contain wombats.  Don't know of any known repellant." Rauleigh Webb

"A wombat is not by nature a nasty animal. But then neither is it in
the top ten of the intellectual heavywights of the animal kingdom. ...they have
an effective way of dealing with predators in tight passages. For instance a
dingo attempting to get over the top of a wombat, from behind, so that it can
get at the wombvat's neck. When the dingo is above the wombat it stands up tall
on all four legs and crushes the dingo into raspberry paste." Alex Karibo

"...need for wombat repellant. What does repell a wombat other than perhaps a
cricket bat?" Don Glasco

"I have consulted the literature and I find no reference to Cricket Bats
under the bat species. This must be a local name for a bat.
Interestingly enough, the literature is awash with references to urine
as either an atractant or a repelant. The local Cricket Bat population must
have evolved a phremonal additive to its urine that is repelant or unpleasant
to the local wombats.
May I suggest a few field trials. Perhaps our inquirer could apply
the urine of different species of bat to their person prior to caving
in womat inhabited caves and note whether the local womats react
differently.
I can see a phd thesis in this topic." AK

"As the urine of Cricket Bat,_Myotis bradmani_, is very scarce, perhaps you
should try cat piss." A. Border
[Note: Donald Bradman was to aussie cricket what Babe Ruth was to yank
baseball.]

"I personnally haven't encountered a wombat in a cave, but I have been nose
 to snout with a wild boar in a cave (as well as dull boors).
Any other critters in the dark we need to be aware of?" DG

"Thanks for the official name for a Cricket bat.
The most dangerous creature that I have encountered, has been the
perambulating Gully Bull. They are dangerous because they seem so
harmless, even likeable at first, but then as time passes they become
unpredictable and will turn on people to whom they have been harmless
in the past. I have come accross this critter while caving. They are
most dangerous if they are allowed near rope rigging." AK

"There was no mention of vicious wombats in the sea cave, but be careful
of the cave crocs." C. Dundee

"Do you mean Crocodilus Troglophilus Fnqldseii?" AK

"Actually Crocodylus eatumcaversii. I think its closely related to C. sewerii
 found in the New York sewer system." DG

"No, I think the name is Crokodilus Spelunkophagus". Harry Hodag

"I think we should ask the experts on TAXACOM." DG