Geographic data-USA

Tom Moritz tmoritz at CAS.CALACADEMY.ORG
Thu Aug 4 01:02:13 CDT 1994

The USGS's Geographic Names Information System has been commercially available
on compact disk (CD-ROM) for several years.  At the California Academy of
Sciences we have it available to all networked workstations running it from
a CD-ROM tower which sits on our network.
The system has some flaws and gaps but is generally very comprehensive if
a project were undertaken to make it retrospective as well and to correct for
some deficiencies (as I recall one standard point is used to represent the
mouth of streams) it could become an invaluable source for US locales and
for NBS (I might add).

The CD-ROM product is distributed uner the name "Place Names Index" and
is available from a company ("Buckminster" I think) based in Mineral,
Virginia (I'll supply the exact details for acquisition in a following
message -- I'm working away from my files...)

The USGS NCIC will also sell the GNIS in machine readable form but the
company that distributes the CD-ROM felt that they needed to edit
something like 30,000 records (1st ed.) & at least a 2d ed. has been
released...

--Tom Moritz, Library
California Academy of Sciences
(from IUCN Library, Gland Switzerland)