new gopher services

Tom Moritz tmoritz at CAS.CALACADEMY.ORG
Tue Aug 16 03:06:10 CDT 1994

 Item #2 in Larry Gall's message represents an important addition to
geopgraphic information services on the Internet!  It's the first time
that I am aware of that a version of the USGS Geographic Names Information
System (US geographic names) has been made available on the Internet.

I do have questions... 1) Why did Peabody edit out the "map name" field
from the file?  This feature provides one of the only ways by which a user
can go from a place name directly to a 7.5 minute topo map.  Seems an
unfortunate deletion.  2) The current format does not permit global searches,
what happens when you are unsure of the state? (The 2nd Ed. of the commercial
version of GNIS permits global...) 3) Did Peabody do any additional
modification/editing of the data (it appears not) -- yet there is some
suggestion that we should not have high confidence in the records...?

Questions nothwithstanding, congratulations to Peabody for putting this
resource up on the Net!

-- Tom Moritz
Calif. Acad. of Sciences
(from IUCN,Gland,Switzerland)