POSTION AVAILABLE AT RANCHO SANTA ANA BOTANIC GARDEN
Steve Boyd RSA
BOYDS at CGSVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU
Tue Aug 9 08:55:10 CDT 1994
The following is an announcement for a new position avilable here at Rancho
Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont California. Our garden is one of the
largest in California focused strictly on the native flora of the state. We
are located some 40 miles east of Los Angeles at the base of the San Gabriel
Mountains. Please post this notice freely and forward to other appropriate
POSITION AVAILABLE -- RANCHO SANTA ANA BOTANIC GARDEN
Greenhouse Nursery Manager / Horticulturist
A full-time, salaried position
Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture, and in consultation with
the research staff. This person carries primary responsibility for the
operation, care and maintenance of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden's plant
growth facilities. This person also has primary responsibility for production,
care and maintenance of all plants grown for the Garden's living collection,
research purposes as well as for growing a large portion of plants grown for
Garden plant sales.
* Propagation, care and maintenance of a wide array of California native
plants grown for the Garden's living collection, plant sales and for research
* Control of all pests and diseases, watering, weeding, fertilizing and
transplanting activities for all plants and experiments in the
greenhouse/nursery/growth chamber facilities.
* Soil and water testing for pH and salts concentrations.
* Producing and maintaining of computerized, daily records of all nursery
* Managing, operating, disinfecting, cleaning and maintaining all nursery
facilities and equipment, including: greenhouses, fog system, fan and pad
cooling system, boiler heating system, soil sterilizer, germinators, growth
chambers, soil mixer, spray rigs, soil and water testing equipment,
refrigerators, seed storage refrigerators, seed storage freezers, and liquid
nitrogen seed storage facilities, seed cleaning equipment, etc.
* Maintaining the Garden's active and long-term seed collections.
* Managing nursery staff and volunteers.
* Developing the nursery area budget.
* Facilitates, assists and develops departmental and institutional staff,
researcher and graduate student use of nursery personnel expertise and
* Must be able to lift 50 pound bags of soil components and carry same for 100
* Must be able to maneuver in narrow (18S-24S) path spaces in greenhouses.
* Accomplishes directed and self-initiated experiments and produces articles
for publication in appropriate journals.
* Scheduling daily (seven days per week) skilled care and maintenance of the
greenhouse / nursery facilities and all plants held in these areas.
* Other duties as required.
* The successful candidate for this position should have a Master's level
degree or greater in horticulture or in another plant science AND/OR
demonstrated appropriate work experience.
* Must have extensive knowledge of California native plants and their
horticultural requirements and propagation.
* Must be knowledgeable of the pests and diseases of California native plants
grown under nursery conditions and their appropriate biological and/or chemical
* Must have excellent supervisory skills and communication skills. Must have
experience operating, managing, and maintaining greenhouses, nursery
facilities, and growth chambers.
* Must be able to establish, maintain and follow scientific and horticultural
* Should also have experience operating, maintaining and managing seed storage
* Should have strong departmental leadership abilities.
* Must possess a State of California Qualified Applicator Certificate, and a
California State Driver's License.
* Must be computer literate Q preferably in the X Windows operating system,
and in the FoxPro data base program.
* All applicants must be in good physical condition and be a legal resident of
* Out of state applicants must fulfill the California specific requirements
within six months of appointment to this position.
* Experience with controlled hybridization methods and techniques and embryo
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden offers an excellent benefits package. The
beginning salary for this position is $28,000 per year, and is negotiable
dependent on qualifications and experience.
FOR CONSIDERATION, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH SALARY HISTORY AND COVER
LETTER DETAILING YOUR QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION BY **October 31, 1994**
Director of Horticulture; Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden; 1500 North College
Avenue; Claremont, CA 91711
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden is an equal opportunity employer (EEOC).
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden encourages minority applicants.
More information about the Taxacom