No subject

Charles Hussey cgh at NHM.AC.UK
Thu Aug 18 17:11:28 CDT 1994

>From Charles Hussey, Systems Manager, Department of Zoology, The Natural
History Museum, London SW7 5BD, Tel +44 71 938 8921; Fax: +44 71 938 9158
cgh at mailserver.nhm.ac.uk

     The recent (and current) discussion on TAXACOM concerning locality
data is most timely and pertinent for us as we are actively developing our
own integrated collections management system (which will have to cope with
the vagaries of a National collection that has been accumulating over the
last 240 years).
     The burning issue for us at this particular moment in time is in
asertaining whether there exist standard hierarchies of geographical
regions, including water bodies and sea areas. We are aware of the ISO
Standard Abbreviations for Geo-political Country names and of the work
done by the botanists with their International Taxonomic Working Group.

We need to track down commonly used lists suitable for Zoologists (and
Entomologists). If you know of a system or have developed a scheme of
recording geographic zones (Countries and above) then I should be delighted
to hear from you.
Charles Hussey,
Department of Zoology, The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 (0)71 938 8921 [Direct Line]; Fax: +44 (0)71 938 9158
JANET: C.Hussey at uk.ac.nhm
INTERNET: C.Hussey%nhm.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk