List of interactive identification programs

Mike Dallwitz miked at ENTO.CSIRO.AU
Thu Dec 15 17:59:17 CST 1994

> From: Phillip Hoover <phoover at sol.uvic.ca>
>
> Is there a list of interactive identification programs (and where and how
> to get them) available. I would be interested in seeing it.

I don't have a comprehensive list, but here are a few. Many of them are
commercial (i.e. not shareware or freeware). Some are available only with data
sets, that is, you can't buy the program and construct your own package - you
must produce the package in collaboration with the software supplier.

ASKATAXA
Fred Rhoades, Biology Department, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
98225, USA. Email: fredr at henson.cc.wwu.edu

CABIKEY
Ian White, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon OX10 8DE, UK. Phone: +44 491 83
2111, Fax: +44 491 83 3508

FLORA
Eirene Williams, Seale-Hayne Dept of Land Use, University of Plymouth, Newton
Abbot, Devon TQ12 6NQ, UK. Fax: +44 626 32 5605

IdentifyIt
ETI, University of Amsterdam, Mauritskade 61, NL 1092 AD Amsterdam, The
Netherlands. Fax: +31 20 525 7238, Email: els at eti.bio.eva.nl

INTKEY
Shareware, available (with several data sets) by gopher or anonymous ftp from
the following Internet hosts.
    muse.bio.cornell.edu  (directory: /pub/delta)
    spider.ento.csiro.au  (directory: /delta)
Mike Dallwitz, CSIRO Division of Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601,
Australia. Fax: +61 6 246 4000, Email: md at ento.csiro.au

MEKA
Christopher Meacham, MEACHAM at VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU, Museum Informatics Project,
501 Banway Building, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 USA

ONLINE
Richard J. Pankhurst, Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh EH3 5LR, UK. Fax: +44 31
552 0382, Email: rjp at castle.ed.ac.uk

PLATO
Christine Leon, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB, England

POLLY
Trevor Whiffin, Department of Botany, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Vic 3083,
Australia

XPER
Jacques Lebbe, Service de Me'decine Nucle'aire, Ho^pital Broussais, 93 rue
Didot, 75014 Paris, France

Mike Dallwitz                                  Internet md at ento.csiro.au
CSIRO Division of Entomology                   Fax +61 6 246 4000
GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia     Phone +61 6 246 4075