Experimental WWW herbarium database

Carl E. Lewis celew at CONNCOLL.EDU
Mon Dec 5 10:32:16 CST 1994

I am writing to announce the availability of a new experimental WWW site at the
following URL:

http://herbarium.conncoll.edu/

Here at the Charles B. Graves Herbarium at Connecticut College (CCNL), we are
working to create a database of our 12000 specimen collection.  Each record
contains data from a specimen label, and many records are linked to picture
files scanned from the herbarium sheets.  Below is a summary of the data
available at this time:

   FAMILY             # SPECIMENS        # PICTURES
   Acoraceae                2                 0
   Araceae                 27                 0
   Xyridaceae              34                 0
   Eriocaulaceae           14                 0
   Commeliniaceae           2                 0
   Pontederiaceae          15                 0
   Juncaceae              168                 0
   Liliaceae              170                14
   Haemodoraceae            4                 0
   Dioscoreaceae            4                 0
   Iridaceae               42                 0
   Orchidaceae            181                69

The server can only be browsed using WWW clients with forms support. Client
software also must support clickable maps within forms.  Below is a list of all
clients successfully tested with the server software.  If you find other clients
that work with the server, please send mail to celew at conncoll.edu.

Macintosh:
       Mosaic Netscape 0.9b
       NCSA Mosaic 2.0a17
       NCSA Mosaic 2.0a17 for Power Macintosh
       MacWeb 1.00A2.2

Windows:
       Mosaic Netscape 0.9b

Unix:
       NCSA Mosaic 2.4

The server is running on a computer that is also used for data entry and image
processing, so you can expect it to be off-line much of the time.  The computer
is a Power Macintosh 6100/60AV, running MacHTTP and an internal development
release of Herbarium Curator Toolkit 2.0.  A beta version of HCT 2.0 will be
ready within the next few months. It will be distributed at the URL listed above
and probably a few FTP sites.  I will post another message to TAXACOM when the
beta version is available.

Questions about the database or the software should be directed to me.  I can
e-mail a decription of the upcoming beta release of HCT 2.0 on request.

                          -  Carl Lewis, Connecticut College
                             celew at conncoll.edu