No subject

Diana G. Horton dhorton at VAXA.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU
Tue Dec 27 15:53:46 CST 1994

I would very much appreciate other people's evaluation of the
following situation:

I am a member of a search committee to hire an Ecologist.  We
have been authorized to interview up to 5 candidates (out of a
pool of ca. 130).  However, some members of the committee are of
the opinion that we should interview 3 at most because (to
paraphrase) only truly outstanding candidates should be
interviewed or the committee will lose credibility within the
department (which is heavily molecular).  To unnecessarily
restrict the number of candidates interviewed seems to me to be
missing an opportunity.  I have a feeling that it may be
difficult to differentiate among the top 5-10 candidates based on
their paper records, and we are better off to interview as many
as possible.

Your advice, the benefit of your experience on search committees
will be very much appreciated!

Diana Horton
Herbarium 312 CB
Biological Sciences