Percentage of Macs in Academia

Scott A. Stockwell STOCKWELLS at SIMSC.SI.EDU
Wed Jun 1 08:48:50 CDT 1994

Dear TAXACOM Subscribers:

In the interest of fueling the discussion that Mike Dallwitz started over
porting DELTA to the Macintosh, and specifically to address the issue of the
relative numbers of Mac versus IBM PC users, I direct netters to MacWEEK vol.
8, num. 18 (02 MAY 94).  They list the top 50 Macintosh-using academic
institutions in America.  While this skews the the percentages toward the Mac
and is mostly U.S., I think it is still a valid sample.  The list might just as
well be titled "the top 50 universities in America."  Macs make up 45% of the
desktop total.  I would be curious to know what percentage of the people on
TAXACOM are Mac users.

I have encountered this dichotomy between programmers/system administrators and
users over and over again.  Those that write the programs and run the systems
prefer IBM PC/DOS and those of us that use the programs and systems seem to
prefer the Macintosh.  Go figure.

Dr. Scott A. Stockwell
Research Entomologist

INTERNET:  stockwells at simsc.si.edu             Walter Reed Biosystematics Unit
BITNET:  stockwells at simsc                                Museum Support Center
Voice:  301-238-3165                                   Smithsonian Institution
FAX:  301-238-3667                                       Washington, DC  20560

                         _/      _/ _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/    _/
                       Walter Reed Biosystematics Unit
               Division of Communicable Diseases and Immunology
                   Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
                          Washington, DC 20307-5100