help on Loligo

zarazaga zarazaga at CC.CSIC.ES
Tue Jun 28 08:58:02 CDT 1994

Dear Colleagues: Dr. Angel Guerra & I submitted a proposal to the ICZN
(Case 2922) intending the conservation of the binomen Loligo vulgaris,
Lamarck, 1798 (yes, the common squid!). However, we have been unable to
find a type species designation for the genus Loligo Lamarck, 1798.
Could anybody give us a reference for such designation?
Everybody supposes that L. vulgaris is the type species, but a formal
designation is required.
Thank you in advance.
*    Miguel A. Alonso-Zarazaga (Dr)                        *
*    Depto. de Biodiversidad                               *
*    Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales                  *
*    Jose Gutierrez Abascal, 2                             *
*    E-28006 Madrid SPAIN                                  *
*    Tlf. +34-1-411.13.28 (ext. 1110)                      *
*    Fax  +34-1-564.50.78                                  *