Percentage of Macs in Academia

Amy Edwards aedwards at ZOOKEEPER.ZOO.UGA.EDU
Wed Jun 1 09:53:36 CDT 1994

In message "Scott A. Stockwell" writes:
> Dear TAXACOM Subscribers:
> I would be curious to know what percentage of the people on
> TAXACOM are Mac users.
>
> I have encountered this dichotomy between programmers/system administrators
> and
> users over and over again.  Those that write the programs and run the systems
> prefer IBM PC/DOS and those of us that use the programs and systems seem to
> prefer the Macintosh.  Go figure.

I think this is an interesting question, so I'll start the ball rolling.  Here
at Georgia we went for multiple platforms.  Our museum has a 486 PC to handle
our dbf files, a SUN for development of a gopher site, and a MAC on almost every
desk top (6 total).  We do have two faculty members who prefer PCs and do not
use MACs.  HOWEVER, they have me use my MAC to make translations and provide
additional email support for them.

I think each platform has its advantages, and use each for different purposes.
Things are so compatible that it is easy to work with each one and transport
information between them into different software packages.  I like having a
variety of computers to work with, but I still like HP best.

How about the rest of you?
Amy

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator -------- aedwards at zookeeper.zoo.uga.edu
Museum of Natural History        --------           phone (706) 542-4137