Political Advocacy (fwd)

Scott Federhen federhen at WISP.NLM.NIH.GOV
Thu Mar 17 20:33:22 CST 1994

Scott:

Hi!
I'm a civil servant!

I work at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)
here at the National Library of Medicine (NLM)
here at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
here at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

Wow, that always impresses ME, but what-do-I-know...

Coincidentally, the director of the NLM (David Lindberg) (see above)
is also director of the HPCC.

Also, coincidentally, I have been working (for the NCBI, we're GenBank now),
on a taxonomy database management system, called the TaxMan,
based on a tree-structured database management system, called the TreeTool.

We're going public with our taxonomy in the next release of the
Entrez cdrom/network-service (in a few weeks). Are you familiar with this
product? If not, email requests for information to info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

This service allows you to do taxonomy-based subsets of any of the
sequence databases, and to browse through our 'canonical' taxonomy.
Criticisms, complaints & (especially) kudos & praises should be sent to
federhen at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

A postscript file of our complete taxonomy is available at our ftp/gopher/www
site (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov). cd to repository/taxomies to see what's there.
Actually, I havn't updated this directory in awhile. Once the first Entrez
taxonomy cdrom is out, though, I'll get right on it. Sure I will.

:Scott 'taxbozo' federhen at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

ps. My wife's an archeologist, and one of our very good friends
    works at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii. Say "hi" to Boyd Dixon
    for me, and you might even want to let him know that I'm famous now.

pps. Hi, Scott, my name is Scott, too. But not really.
     My real name is "Herbert Melancthon Federhen, 5th".
     Which is why I've chosen to go by my nickname.
     An (alcoholic) friend of the family suggested (before I was born)
      that Scotch came in fifths, too.
     Though I still publish computer science articles with my real name,
      in biology, I'm "Scott".

ppps. I'm not a real taxonomist, but I play one at NCBI.
      We should be getting some serious taxonomists here soon.
      That will make my life easier, I hope.