more (3) on Electronic access to collections

Museum Informatics Project MIP-ARCH at UCBCMSA.BITNET
Fri May 20 18:00:00 CDT 1994

  - - - - The original note follows - - - -

Date: Fri, 20 May 94 16:20:50 PDT
To: MIP-ARCH%UCBCMSA.bitnet at harvarda.harvard.edu
From: jlipps at ucmp1.Berkeley.EDU (Jere H. Lipps)
Subject: Re: more (3) on Electronic access to collections

The Berkeley Museum of Paleontology type species on-line catalogs lists
localities to county or similar reference only, because of the market in
fossils.  A further request will get locality data, but each request must
be confirmed as a legitimate, usually scientific, query.  If we do not know
the requestor, we ask that they supply a reference and statement of their
problem.  We treat locality requests in much the same way as specimen
loans.

We have had few requests, probably because the information is available in
publications anyway.

Jere H. Lipps
Department of Integrative Biology &
Museum of Paleontology