Re- Institution codes (Abbr

Stephen Gaimari stephen_gaimari at QMS1.LIFE.UIUC.EDU
Tue May 3 15:01:35 CDT 1994

John McNeill writes:

>...My interest, and my reason for mailing this generally, is not in the
>institution itself (though see below) but in the issue of an "institution
>code".  I am, of course, well aware of the internationally recognized
>"Herbarium Abbreviations", established at least since the 1950's in Index
>Herbariorum Part I: The Herbaria of the World, of which the most recent
>edition is the eighth, by Patricia K. Holmgren, Noel H. Holmgren and Lisa
>C. Barnett, published for the International Association for Plant Taxonomy
>by the New York Botanical Garden in 1990.

>Is there a similarly internationally recognized set of abbreviations for
>zoological (or for that matter anthropological) collections - and if so are
>there substantial discrepancies?  I have never come across one, but that
>may reflect botanical isolation.

>In preparing abbreviations for referring to mycological collections that
>are not (yet) in Index Herbariorum, it became evident that the current
>accepted international Culture Collection abbreviations of these
>institutions not infrequently conflicted with the Index Herbariorum ones
>(e.g. duplicated existing Herbarium abbreviations).

>Index Herbariorum gives the English title of the Stockholm museum about
>which Don Glasco enquires as "Swedish Museum of Natural History";  the
>Index Herbariorum abbreviation is:  S...

I am not positive what is internationally accepted for zoological collections
in general, but I believe that entomological collections use the
abbreviations provided in the book "The Insect and Spider Collections of the
World" by R.H. Arnett, Jr., G.A. Samuelson, and G.M. Nishida.  This book is
handbook 11 (2nd edition, 1993) of the "Flora and Fauna Handbooks" series out
of Sandhill Crane Press in Florida.  These abbreviations, which the authors
call "codens" are four letters that identify each collection.  Additional
known abbreviations (from literature) are provided in the back of the book,
to easily refer to the present abbreviations used in the book.

For example, the museum in Sweden which has been referred to in this exchange
about institution codes is listed as "Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet, Sektionen
fur Entomologi," and the abbreviation is "NHRS."  Additionally, the book
lists two other abbreviations [=NRS, =NREA], which have probably been used in
literature somewhere.  But it seems that these abbreviations do indeed
conflict with herbarium abbreviations.

Stephen D. Gaimari
Department of Entomology
320 Morrill Hall