Codens of institutions, ASI

John Bruner John_Bruner at BIOLOGY.UALBERTA.CA
Wed May 4 10:32:19 CDT 1994

                      Codens of institutions, ASIH
For Ichthyology and Herpetology, the lists of codens for institutions
can be found in the following two papers.
Leviton, A. E., Gibbs, Jr., R. H.  1988.  Standards in Herpetology and
      Ichthyology Standard Symbolic codes for Institutional Resource
      Collections in Herpetology and Ichthyology.  Supplement No. 1:
      Additions and Corrections.  Copeia 1988(1):280-282.
Levition, A. E., Gibbs, Jr. R. H., Heal, E., and Dawson, C. E.  1985.
        Standards in Herpetology and Ichthyology: Part I.  Standard Symbolic
      codes for Institutional Resource Collections in Herpetology and
      Ichthyology.  Copeia 1985(3):802-832.
I would like to point out that the word "ACRONYM" can NOT be used to
describe an institutional coden.  An acronym is a word in its own right,
such as, RADAR, SNAFU, or SCUBA, that is made up of the first letter(s)
of a string of words.  It is not merely an abbreviation, such as, USNM =
United States National Museum, Smithsonian.
      John Bruner
       Department of Zoology
       University of Alberta