more (1) on Electronic access to collections

Museum Informatics Project MIP-ARCH at UCBCMSA.BITNET
Thu May 19 10:15:00 CDT 1994

Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 11:42:08 -0400
From: "Sanford D. Porter" <SDP at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <entomo-l at herman.cs.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: Electronic access to collections

I think that Mark Camara makes a very good point.  I know that my father
had to be very careful about disclosing the location of falcon eyries for
fear that the nest would be raided and the young sold to falconers for several
thousand dollars each.  However, I think that such care should probably be
limited to those species that are of particular concern.  I think that a more
important reason not to include specific locality data is that the effort
logging it into the computer for every specimen would would far exceed its
usefulness.  County data should be sufficient for most distributional studies.
Those needing more precise data could contact the museums.

Sanford D. Porter
sdp at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu

USDA-ARS, MAVERL
P.O. Box 14565