in defence of private collectors

Robert Robbins rrobbins at GDB.ORG
Fri May 20 07:48:27 CDT 1994

I have heard many variations on this discussion over the last several
years and it has never been the amateur collector who was the source of
concern.  Rather it was the professional, commercial collector.  With some
rare orchids, for example, fetching $10,000 or more per plant, the
knowledge of their exact location is of great value and, in the wrong
hands, would lead to the complete eradication of the local population.

In fact, it is my understanding that being a bit coy about the exact
collection site for rare orchids is already the practice among some
curators, with or without electronic data access.