More (8) on Electronic access to collections

Museum Informatics Project MIP-ARCH at UCBCMSA.BITNET
Fri May 20 09:05:00 CDT 1994

 (BTW,please reply to TAXACOM at HARVARDA (Bitnet), and not to MIP-ARCH, which
  is simply forwarding ENTOMO-L articles on this subject to TAXACOM.
  And, Mark's email address is: camara at horton.Colorado.EDU (Internet). Thanks)

Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 17:42:22 +0100 (MET)
From: TURNER at rulrhb.LeidenUniv.nl
Subject: Re: Electronic access to collections
To: MIP-ARCH at UCBCMSA.bitnet

Dear Mark,

Here at the Rijksherbarium we publish a series entitled Orchid Monographs,
dedicated to the orchid flora of the SE Asian Archipelago (Malesia). As
a standard policy we do not include detailed information on collecting
localities in the papers that appear in it, to avoid nasty side-effects such
as those you describe in your note. In the past, unscrupulous collectors have
managed to whipe out entire populations of rare orchids, esp. the very much
sought after lady-slipper orchids (Paphiopedilum), just because they were able
to locate them through the literature. They have even managed to wrangle info
on localities from unsuspecting scientists, by posing as interested amateur
orchidologists. I therefore agree with your source that such information
should not be freely accessible through electronic databases, even though I
deplore the consequence that biogeographers will have much difficulties in
obtaining their information.

Best wishes,

Hubert Turner                                   +++
OI Rijksherbarium/Hortus Botanicus     ++*       *#######*++
Postbus 9514                          +    ***   *###***    +
2300 RA  Leiden                      +        *******        +
The Netherlands                       +        *   *        +
e-mail: turner at rulrhb.leidenuniv.nl    ++    *       *    ++
                                                +++