Questions!: ginkgo

MIZUNO, Naomi nmizuno at NIVOT.AFFRC.GO.JP
Sun Nov 6 21:07:41 CST 1994

At 10:11 94.11.3 -0500, Santiago Madrinan wrote:
>We usually eat the seeds roasted or boiled, or make Ginkgo
>soup or 'flan'.
>
>Do you by any chance have any other drecepies that we could try.

Gingko is a secondary food stuff at least in Japan.
  (I mean meat is primary, for example)
It is used widely and frequently but only as a kind of a garnish.

My favorite one is;
'Chawan mushi'
Few pieces of lean chicken, 'kamaboko'(fish curd), lotus rhizome,
chestnut, ginkgo, etc. are placed in 'chawan'
(mug for coffee is good substitution).
Pour beaten egg diluted with japanese style soup.
Steam untill all are cooked.
Beware not too much.
Excess steaming makes spongy texture which is rough to our tongue.

>By the way, I personaly think that getting rid of the megasporangiate
>individuals is a sort of genocide and should not be encouraged.

This is not encouraged also in Japan by a different reason.
Japanese culture has thick substrate of aminism(= shintoism).
People think every each objects, including organisms, have thier own spirits.
Destruction without obvious reasons is avoided.
If it should be done by some needs, shintoism ceremony will be held before
destruction.

BTW, this is not a scientific problem, and will be problem of
conscience or religion.
As a citizen, I am interesting in this problem.
For ginkgo case, as the whole Japan, population of the megasporangiate
individuals will be thousand times larger than microsporangiate,
because of the larger populations in the orchards.
This number will be over millions in the case of chicken,
because their microsporangiates have no commercial value,
and ornamental value as in ginkgo.
These cases are artificial.
For bee or some other insects,
uneven sex ratio is deviced in the genetic codes.
More over, unfertile individuals are !
What should we thought for this problem?

>Also, are there any particular ways of sowing the seeds to obtain
>seedlings (such as them having to freeze before planting)?
To get uniform germination in spring,
we bury seeds deeply(30cm) in autumn,
and dig them out in spring, and sow them.
But if you don't wish 'uniform',
you simply sow seeds in autumn and keep soil moist until spring.
For this method, germination will be irregular but about 70%
of them will germinate before summer.

---
Naomi MIZUNO.
NIVOT, Kanaya 2769, Kanaya, Shizuoka 428 JAPAN.

ÿÿ    Re: Questions!: ginkgo                                                  11