botany collection

Robert Robbins rrobbins at GDB.ORG
Wed Nov 9 09:13:14 CST 1994

With regard to the quality of material in this collection, I can comment
on pieces that I acquired.

As a collector of old genetics texts and monographs, I acquired from this
collection Richard Goldschmidt's "The Material Basis of Evolution" (1940)
and Sinnott and Dunn's "Principles of Genetics, Second Edition" (1932).
The Sinnott and Dunn bears the inscription "R. T Clausen, Sept 27, 1934"
inside the front cover and the Goldschmidt is similarly inscribed.
Otherwise, both are in exceptionally nice condition, with the Sinnott and
Dunn looking almost as if it had never been read.

Of course I cannot speak to the quailty of pieces I did not acquire, since
I have not inspected the collection (I am in Baltimore and the collection
in Southern California), but of the two I have seen I am more than pleased.

On Wed, 9 Nov 1994, Shoshana Edwards wrote:

> Thanks to Mr. Robert Robbins, many of you were able to request and then
> view the catalogue of the private botany library we have been offering
> for sale.  Many of the items in this collection were originally part of
> the personal library of the late Mssr. Clausen and bear his inscription.
> Still other pieces came from botanical garden libraries.  The response
> has been amazing, and we want to thank all of you for your interest.
> Much of the collection remains for sale, and at this time we are pleased
> to announce a 20% discount on any of the remaining material.  If you
> would like to see an updated list you may request it by email or post
> office, or you may request items from the original list and we will let
> you know if they are still available.
>
> Mr. Robbins has suggested I make this posting and has had the highest
> praise for the quality of the materials in this collection.  Thank you
> again for your interest.

> Books From Bree - bree at netcom.com
>
> "Man is always marveling at what he has blown apart, never at what the
> universe has put together, and this is his limitation."
>                                         The Lost Notebooks of Loren Eisley

ÿÿ    Re: botany collection                                                  RFR