Request for Diptera material

Doug Yanega dyanega at DENR1.IGIS.UIUC.EDU
Sun Sep 25 18:25:52 CDT 1994

Greetings, all. I have a request for those of you associated with
collections that contain Neotropical material; I am in the process of
describing some new Ctenostylidae from the Neotropics, and given that the
entire family - aside from one species from Brazil - is known (in the
literature) from fewer than 12 specimens, I thought it might be worth it to
just put out a general request for additional material. Up until recently,
they were included in the Pyrgotidae, as the subfamily Lochmostyliinae.
They are Acalyptrates, lack ocelli, and typically have pictured wings, thus
resembling small (4mm) to medium-sized Pyrgotidae or Tephritidae. They are
easily distinguished by complex, branched and plumose aristae in the
females, a frequent reduction or absence of mouthparts, and a tendency
towards fusion of the basal wing cells. The abdomen tends to be somewhat
shriveled and tiny in pinned material. They almost inevitably wind up in
"Undetermined Pyrgotidae", and the Neotropical genera are Furciseta,
Lochmostylia, Tauroscypson, and Ctenostylum, with species ranging from
Mexico to southern Brazil. I would be grateful if you could spare a few
moments to check, and contact me with information on availability of
specimens.
I am also interested to know if anyone knows of Neotropical species of
Microdon (Syrphidae) which mimic Trigona bees (right down to elbowed
antennae and false "pollen baskets").
Thanks very much,

Doug Yanega      Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 E. Peabody Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA     phone (217) 244-6817, fax (217) 333-4949