seeking information

MARY SEDDON XMIMS at CARDIFF.AC.UK
Fri Jan 6 19:25:56 CST 1995

Hi, I am a new user to both e-mail and the Internet, so forgive me
if I bring up subjects which may have been already broadcast!

Request for information
1.  Use of handheld GPS for field data-logging
I am looking for a cheap way, within reasonable levels of accuracy,
to record latitude, longitude and elevation of sites in countries
with poor map coverage.  The use of hand-held GPS has been suggested
as a method of improving our accuracy.  Any comments on successful
use in mountainous terrain would be appreciated.  Any comments on the
ease of interfacing with laptop computers such as Powerbook Duos also
welcome.  I know this discussed some-time ago, but was unable to find
the corrrect place in the archives.

2.  Endangered species of Molluscs
We are setting up a data-base on Museum collections holding material
of Endangered species of Mollusca.  Initially I would like to hear
from any-one who has material from the islands of Madeira in the NW.
Atlantic.  Just a note to say you have material, - the approximate
size of the collection, its source and date would also be useful. The
majority of collecting there was done last century, and the
collections widely swopped;  I am aware of some 15 museums in the UK
which hold material, but would like to know how widely it was
disseminated outside.  This will help us in the completeion of a
project we have been working on withthe Madeiran governement.

Regards

Mary Seddon
Curator (Terrestrial Mollusca), Nat.Mus.Wales, Cardiff, UK, CF1 3NP
Tel. 44-222-397951x244, Fax 44-222-239009

------------------------------ End of forwarded message 1