mailserver command comparisons

Thayer thayer at FMNH785.FMNH.ORG
Mon Jan 9 18:01:40 CST 1995

The recent Roadmap to the Internet course included a lesson on LISTSERV and
another that discussed other mailservers.  All the lessons from Roadmap
are available from Univ. Alabama as outlined in the forwarded message below.
The comparative command list (with numerous basic commands) was in lesson 06,
which was part of week 2.  The series was a useful introduction to many
features of the net.  (Disclaimer: I had no part in producing it, etc...)
Margaret Thayer       thayer at fmnh.org                                           Zoology-Insects, Field Museum                                                   Chicago IL 60605, USA   phone 312-922-9410 ext. 838

**************Forwarded message****************
Date:         Thu, 17 Nov 1994 21:07:54 CST
From: Patrick Douglas Crispen <PCRISPE1 at UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      THIS IS THE LAST LETTER ... PROMISE!
To: Multiple recipients of list MAP2 <MAP2 at UA1VM.UA.EDU>

Thank you once again for participating the the Roadmap workshop!!
This will be the last letter that you will receive from me :(

BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS LETTER I WILL HAVE ALREADY UNSUBSCRIBED
YOU FROM THE LIST. YOU DO NOT -- REPEAT DO NOT -- HAVE TO SEND
AN UNSUB MESSAGE TO THE LISTSERV! I WILL TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING FROM HERE!

Before I say goodbye, there are two things that I want to tell you:
     1. If you have any friends or co-workers who were not able
        to participate in the Roadmap workshops, please tell them
        to send an e-mail letter to
                       LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU

        with the command
                       GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL

        in the body of their letter. I have set the workshop files
        up so that people can now get the lessons in one week blocks,
        and the GET MAP PACKAGE command will send them two letters
        telling them how to get these "blocks."

     2. The MAP2 list will cease to exist on Monday (I think).
        If you want to GET back copies of the Roadmap lessons, please
        use the following *NEW* filenames and filetypes in your
        GET FILENAME FILETYPE F=MAIL letters that you send to
        LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU
          WEEK1
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP01     LESSON    WELCOME
          MAP02     LESSON    LISTSERV FILE SERVER COMMANDS

          WEEK2
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP03     LESSON    LEVELS OF INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
          MAP04     LESSON    E-MAIL
          MAP05     LESSON    LISTSERVS
          MAP06     LESSON    OTHER MAIL SERVERS
          MAP07     LESSON    NETIQUETTE

          WEEK3
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP08     LESSON    USENET
          MAP09     LESSON    SPAMMING AND URBAN LEGENDS
          MAP10     LESSON    INTERNET SECURITY
          MAP11     LESSON    TELNET (PART ONE)
          MAP12     LESSON    TELNET (PART TWO)

          WEEK4
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP13     LESSON     FTP (PART ONE)
          MAP14     LESSON     FTP (PART TWO)
          MAP15     LESSON     FTPMAIL
          MAP16     LESSON     FTP FILE COMPRESSION
          QUIZ1Q    LESSON     POP QUIZ
          MAP17     LESSON     ARCHIE
          MAP17B    LESSON     FTP SITES
          QUIZ1A    LESSON     POP QUIZ ANSWERS

          WEEK5
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP18     LESSON     GOPHER (PART ONE)
          MAP19     LESSON     GOPHER (PART TWO)
          MAP20     LESSON     BOOKMARKS AND BOOKLISTS
          MAP21     LESSON     VERONICA
          MAP22     LESSON     GOPHERMAIL

          WEEK6
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP23     LESSON     WWW (PART ONE)
          MAP24     LESSON     WWW (PART TWO)
          QUIZ2Q    LESSON     POP QUIZ
          MAP25     LESSON     ADDRESSES SEARCHES AND FINGER
          NEAT      LESSON     MAP-EXTRA: NEAT STUFF TO CHECK OUT
          ADVERT    LESSON     MAP-EXTRA: ADVERTISING ON THE INTERNET
          MAP26     LESSON     IRC/MUDs/MOOs AND OTHER "TALKERS"
          SMITH     LESSON     GUEST LECTURE -- RICHARD SMITH
          QUIZ2A    LESSON     POP QUIZ ANSWERS
          MAP27     LESSON     THE FUTURE ...

        You can now also get the lessons e-mailed to you in one-week
        blocks, simply by sending an e-mail letter to
               LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU

        with the command
               GET WEEK# PACKAGE F=MAIL

        in the body of your e-mail letter, replacing the # with the week
        number of the block that you want to retrieve.
        For example, to get all of these "WEEK2" files e-mailed to you
          WEEK2
          filename  filetype  description
          --------  --------  -----------
          MAP03     LESSON    LEVELS OF INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
          MAP04     LESSON    E-MAIL
          MAP05     LESSON    LISTSERVS
          MAP06     LESSON    OTHER MAIL SERVERS
          MAP07     LESSON    NETIQUETTE

        all you have to do is send an e-mail letter to
               LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU

        with the command
               GET WEEK2 PACKAGE F=MAIL

        in the body of your e-mail letter. After you send your letter,
        a computer at the University of Alabama will process your letter
        and will -- usually within 24 hours -- e-mail you the particular
        one-week block of lessons that you request.

Thank you again for subscribing to the workshop. If I decide to
hold any other workshops, I will make an announcement on NEW-LIST
(I told you about NEW-LIST in that MAP-EXTRA on neat stuff).
... buh-bye :(

   PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN    THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS LETTER DO NOT
    PCRISPE1 at UA1VM.UA.EDU      NECESSARILY REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE
  THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA      UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA - TUSCALOOSA
      ROADMAP: COPYRIGHT PATRICK CRISPEN 1994. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
   To unsubscribe from ANY Roadmap workshop, send an e-mail letter to
   LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU which says UNSUB * in the body of the letter