fees for data

Paisley <S. at <pcato at LEO.VSLA.EDU>.bitnet> Paisley <S. at <pcato at LEO.VSLA.EDU>.bitnet>
Mon Jan 23 09:33:11 CST 1995

I'm looking for information concerning fees charged for
providing data from natural history collection databases.  For
example, I recently received a brochure fromthe Kentucky
Natural Heritage Program Data Services program with the
following fees listed:

        $45/hour - one hour minimum + cost of maps (if request
                includes plotting locations on map)
                std. requests require ave. of 2 hours
                (govt.agencies, non-profit org., students &
                researchers are provided 2 hours of data
                service/month free)
        $90/hour for 24 hr service
        $10,000 for annual subscription with $1,000 set up fee

A California museum herp division based its recovery fees on
the number of records -- primarily to recover the cost of
providing the data.

Can anyone else provide actual fees requested by museums or
other agencies?  Thanks.
Paisley S. Cato, Ph.D.                          e-mail: pcato at leo.vsla.edu
Curator of Collections                          phone:  703-666-8634
Virginia Museum of Natural History              fax:    703-632-6487
1001 Douglas Ave., Martinsville, VA 24112