HELP! HOW TO UPDATE COLLECTION

Manuel Balcazar, Entomology U of F MABA at GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU
Thu Jan 26 01:45:02 CST 1995

I will become a researcher at the Entomological Collection, National
Autonomous University of Mexico, in the near future. Two of the main
duties I will have are:

1) Update, strengthen, and enhance the Lepidoptera Systematic Collection.
2) Help to plan  more efficient surveys, so more and better data and
   biological specimens are collected.

Although I have several papers and notes (including e-mail messages of
topics discussed on the internet) about the former, I am looking for
citations of papers dealing with guidelines on how  to "modernize" an
insect collection. Any pointers on setting up an efficient systematic
information system (including databases, bar-coded labels,  GIS,  making
data available to researchers [ie through the Internet] and so on) will
be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd appreciate knowing  from the experiences
of people involved  in such changes in collections.

Please e-mail directly to me. If I receive enough information, I will
post an abstract of the replays.

Thanks in advance,
 | MANUEL A. BALCAZAR-LARA                 |     ^          ^   |
 | Entomology and Nematology Department    |     | \  \/  / |   |
 | University of Florida                   |     | 0 \oo/ 0 |   |
 | P.O. Box 110620, Gainesville, FL 32611  |      ----||----    |
 | Bitnet: MABA at IFASGNV                    |     / 0 /||\ 0 \   |
 | Internet: MABA at GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU         |     | /      \ |   |
 | Tel: (904) 372-3505 ext 182             |     ||        ||   |
 | Fax: (904) 392-0190                     |     ||        ||   |