Jurassic Pine

Arthur Chapman arthur at GAEA4.ERIN.GOV.AU
Wed Jan 11 09:18:16 CST 1995

There has been a lot of interest in the Wollemi Pine - the so-called
"Jurassic Pine" about which Ken Hill put information on the server
recently.

Through the good graces of Ken and the New South Wales National Parks
and Wildlife Service, I have been able to obtain some information on
the Pine for putting on the ERIN World Wide Web.  Just look under the
What's New area under the Home Page

http://www.erin.gov.au/erin.html

or go direct to:

htp://www.erin.gov.au/life/end_vuln/plants/liv_fossil.html

This includes a line drawing for those interested.

Also on the ERIN What's New for December was notification of an
interesting insect find on Cape York Peninsula.

Next month there will be some information on another "Living Fossil"
discovery in the Proteaceae and some information on the rediscovery of
Gilbert's Potoroo - a small mammal thought, for over 125 years, to have
been extinct - "what is lost is found"!

As to moderation of Taxacom - it would be great to get rid of the ever
increasing "subscribe/iunsubscribe"messages, but other than that,
Taxacom seems to be remarkably free of junk compared with most other
listservers.  I suggest we just keep a watching brief for now.

regards and a happy new year to all

arthur

Arthur D. Chapman  [Scientific Coordinator, Biogeographic Information, ERIN]

Environmental Resources Information Network     internet: arthur at erin.gov.au
GPO Box 787, Canberra,                             voice: +61-6-274 1066
ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA                                  fax: +61-6-274 1333