fees for providing data

Peter Rauch peterr at VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jan 26 20:59:59 CST 1995

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:59:37 -0600 (CST)
Bruce Parfitt, parfitt at mobot.mobot.org wrote me suggesting the
following additional question to pose to those who charge for their
data.

>What do your funding agencies think about you charging for information
>that was accumulated via public support (e.g., NSF grants)?
>
>This is based on the assumption that the public has already paid for the
>information once (if a collection has been publicly funded).

>Bruce Parfitt
>Missouri Botanical Garden
>parfitt at mobot.org

To Bruce's question, I would add "_What_ exactly did the funding
agency(ies) pay for? E.g., to collect material? to curate material?
to set up an information system? to actually share the data ad
infinitum at your expense? etc....

Peter