Occam's Razor

Peter Rauch peterr at VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Jul 29 23:26:31 CDT 1995

>Date:         Sat, 29 Jul 1995 19:55:56 -0400
>From: Jacques Rifkind <Muisca at AOL.COM>

>I think the only elemental assumption of science is that nature is
>understandable. Sometimes its complexity and the roundabout solutions to
>functional problems that evolution has shaped seem to make Occam's famous
>dictum an anti-rule for discovery in biology.

I think* I agree. But, I think a good barber would only argue that what
appeared to be a "roundabout" solution, is now --with our new-found
understanding-- a fine example of Occam's Razor....

Peter

* Of course, maybe nature isn't understandable to science (in which case,
we'll keep cutting ourselves with that razor 'til we bleed to death).