Unique Numbering of Specimens

John Bruner jbruner at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Mon Jul 31 17:40:36 CDT 1995

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Peter Rauch wrote:

> "...... A current, somewhat imperfect
> system of similar nature is used by collections to identify the collection
> and/or institution --the traditional acronym, e.g., amnh, fmnh, cas,
etc...." > Peter

SORRY PETER, I am not picking on you, but there seems to be an awful lot of
people on TAXACOM who do not know that the word "acronym" CANNOT be used
for museum abbreviations. An acronym is a WORD made up of the first
letter or several letters of a string of words.  Examples of "acronyms"
are SNAFU, RADAR, SCUBA. Abbreviations or codons of museums are NOT acronyms
because they are not WORDS.  The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology's SVP
Bibliography has a section in the back of the last three issues which also
 misuses the word
"acronym." AMNH, FMNH, and CAS are not acronyms but codons or
abbreviations for museums.  Because these abbreviations are not WORDS on
their own right they are not acronymns.