New threat to types

GB:'X0B$4fAB92GB5 76711.1261 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Sat Jul 8 14:07:32 CDT 1995

Hi from Prague, the heart of Europe

I have got following message.. (bellow). I am wonder if some third world
countries can ask for return type material or all beetles of their country back
to their very bad maintained museum where all will go for sure destruction.

Regards

Vratislav Richard Bejsak
Coleoptera - Australia, Tenebrionidae
Konevova 1658/110
130 00 Prague 3 Zizkov
CZECH Rep.
voice: (42+2) 270 849
fax  : (41+2) 311 6545
email: 76711,1261 at compuserve.com
(I am from Australia, this address is for one or two years)

--- message-

The June 1995 issue of the ASC Newsletter (Association of Systematics
Collections) has an article about "UNIDROIT Treaty Under Negotiation:
Could Broaden Repatriation Claims to Include Flora and Fauna."

"The UNIDROIT Convention on the International Return of Stolen or
Illegally Exported Cultural Objects is currently being negotiated,
with the most recent meeting taking place in Rome in June, 1995. The
definition of "cultural object" includes flora and fauna. The term
"illegally exported" includes materials that are claimed as cultural
patrimony and hence are claimed to be under sovereign control by various
national governments." The article goes on to detail various developments
in recent negotiotions, and in particular the US government's and ASC's
positions.

This is NAGPRA's big brother! This is Federal Register Notice" 50 CFR 13-14's
soul mate. How come no one has raised it for discussion in these forums,
where our collection artifacts and specimens represent the targets of the
Convention's attention?