New threat to types

Alberto Correa de Vasconcellos acvascon at AX.APC.ORG
Sun Jul 9 08:51:34 CDT 1995

To: taxacom at cmsa.berkeley.edu

" >Hi from Prague, the heart of Europe
If it`s really the heart of Europe some people there should have a check
on it.
" >I have got following message.. (bellow). I am wonder if some third world
  >countries can ask for return type material or all beetles of their country
  >back
  >to their very bad maintained museum where all will go for sure destruction.
" >Vratislav Richard Bejsak
  >Coleoptera - Australia, Tenebrionidae
  >Konevova 1658/110
  >130 00 Prague 3 Zizkov
  >CZECH Rep.
  >voice: (42+2) 270 849
  >fax  : (41+2) 311 6545
  >email: 76711,1261 at compuserve.com
  >(I am from Australia, this address is for one or two years)

If the material is really from our instituitons I think it is necessary.
Of course some instituions are suffering from their lack of funds to support
their collections, but I know of the efforts of their workers to keep them
in good conditions. However, I would like to say that it would be less sad
to see our material destroyed for lack of funds than by a bomb attack like
the ones that are occuring near the "heart" of Europe or, in *your* opinion,
in the center of the world.

Just think about...

PS: that comment is being addressed to Mr. Bejsak. Have anything against
Europeans. Cheers,

Alberto Correa de Vasconcellos
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro BRASIL
Departamento de Geologia

Alberto Correa de Vasconcellos
Fax +55 (21) 265-2198
E-mail acvascon at ax.apc.org