permits for visiting scholars

Alan Harvey aharvey at AMNH.ORG
Wed Jul 19 16:26:54 CDT 1995

Joseph Laferriere wrote:

>I have a suggestion stemming indirectly from the discussion over the past
>few weeks about biologists visiting other countries. My suggestion is that
>someone create a centralized source of information on what the requirements
>are for doing biological research in various countries. This could either be
>in the form of a book comparable to Index Herbariorum or on-line.

This seems like an exceptional idea.  In addition to the immediate benefits
to those of us hoping to do (properly legal and ethical) research in other
countries, such a database or document might provide a point of departure
for efforts to get some relief from those countries with seemingly
irrational, obstructionist policies.

Alan W. Harvey (aharvey at amnh.org)
Assistant Curator of Invertebrates
American Museum of Natural History