permits for visiting scholars

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr. jkirkbri at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Thu Jul 20 07:15:12 CDT 1995

On Wed, 19 Jul 1995, Stephen Halford wrote:

> There is probably some additional positive fallout from such an idea,
> showing up governments with excessively restrictive (*or liberal!*)
> permit requirements, and shaming 'em into more "conventional" attitudes.

On the several occassions in which I have been involved when governments
compared permit requirements, the most stringent requirements were
adopted by all.  Except in one case in which even more restrictive
requirements were adopted to "prove" that the particular country could
protect its national patrimony better.  Each time it turned into macho
one-up-manship contest.

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr.
USDA, Agricultural Research Service
Systematic Botany and Mycology Laboratory
Room 304, Building 011A, BARC-West
Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2350 USA
Voice telephone: 301-504-9447
FAX: 301-504-5810