Specimen examined lists & databases

Jim Croft jrc at ANBG.GOV.AU
Mon Jul 31 10:48:26 CDT 1995

Gary Noonan writes:

>         I wish to ask colleagues their recommendation about providing
> specimen examined data in monographs.   Should printed monographs contain
> lists of specimens examined (localities, dates, numbers of specimens, etc.)
> when such specimen information will also be put onto the Internet?

Perhaps this question could be rephrased?  Following the example of
Genbank and other visionaries, should not the publication of certain
basic data (eg. examined specimen data) on the internet be an intrinsic
component (or even a prerequisite?) of formal publication, rather than
an alternative?

-- jim