(decoded) Arthropod information network in Africa
carmean at SFU.CA
Mon Jul 31 09:45:50 CDT 1995
I am Dr. Yunlong Xia, Head of Computer Unit at ICIPE, the International
Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, located in Nairobi, Kenya. I am
preparing a research/development proposal of Arthropod Information Network
in Africa (AINA). I would appreciate if you could give me your comments
and suggestion on this. You are also invited to participate it if you are
We have PESTNET (the Pest Management Research and Development Network)
infrastructure at ICIPE covers 18 Africa countries. We developed some
management information systems at ICIPE, like TMIS (Tsetse Management
Information System). We also have middle or small scale of data bases on
most of ICIPE target arthropods. We need to integrate these data bases or
expand it, and make it available to worldwide users. AINA will be a
cooperative project participated by most of Africa countries and
interested partners outside Africa.
AINA will include:
1) A profile database of arthropods in Africa.
2) Management information systems for important arthropods in Africa.
3) Early warning systems for destructive arthropods in Africa.
4) Arthropod indicators database of environmental changes in Africa.
5) Arthropod biodiversity management system for Africa.
Thank you very much for reading this mail.
308 ICIPE <308 at REMOTE1.MSM.CGNET.COM>
More information about the Taxacom