What do we call it until it gets a name?

Fri Dec 6 08:59:06 CST 1996

There have been several good replies to this query.  No one has yet
mentioned, though, that the traditional way that this has been handled in
botany when the provisional name needs to be used, but is not yet formally
published, is to use "ined." following the provisional name.  However,
though traditional, undoubtedly nomenclatural problems can arise from
this convention.

At 08:54 5/12/96 -0700, Alec McClay wrote:
>We are working with an undescribed insect (a new species in a known genus)
>which seems to be promising as a biological control agent. A taxonomist will
>be describing it in due course, but before its name is published we will
>need to refer to the insect in correspondence and in a report which will be
>seen (initially) by about 30 people. My question (as a non-systematist) is:
>what should we call it for the time being? Will it cause problems with
>priority and authorship if we refer to the insect by the name under which it
>will eventually be described? Should we put a disclaimer in the report
>indicating that it is not intended as a new species description? Or should
>we just refer to the insect by a code letter until it gets an official name?
>Alec McClay
>Research Scientist, Biological Control of Weeds
>****New e-mail address****
>alec at aec.arc.ab.ca              Alberta Research Council
>Phone (403) 632-8207            Bag 4000, Vegreville
>Fax   (403) 632-8379            Alberta T9C 1T4, Canada
Deborah Q. Lewis, Curator
Ada Hayden Herbarium                             Ph.: [1]515-294-9499
Department of Botany                             FAX: [1]515-294-1337
Iowa State University                      E-mail: dlewis at iastate.edu
Ames, IA  50011-1020  U.S.A.

More information about the Taxacom mailing list