Longest name part

drm D.R.Morse at UKC.AC.UK
Wed May 1 09:05:21 CDT 1996

> On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Linda Stathoplos wrote:

> Taxacomers:
> I've been charged with setting the field length for
> each part of a taxonomic name for a relational database. We'd like to
> make it as short as possible, but still long enough to accomodate known
> existing names.
>
> The longest name in the NODC Tax. Code at the moment is:
>
> Archaeosphaerodiniopsidaceae (28 characters)
>
> Anyone know of any names longer than 28 characters?
> For this purpose, I'm only interested in the longest name
> PART...that is, the genus length ONLY, the specific epithet
> length ONLY, etc.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Dr. Linda Stathoplos         Internet: lstathoplos at nodc.noaa.gov

If I've read the data dictionary correctly then IOPI (International
Organization for Plant Information) have chosen 33 characters.  See

        http://life.csu.edu.au/iopi/

for more information on IOPI and

        http://fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de:8080/~wgb/7301root.htm

for their `Taxonomic Information Model for Botanical Databases'.

David.
Dr David R. Morse,         Email: D.R.Morse at ukc.ac.uk
Computing Laboratory,      Phone: (01227) 764000 extn 7571
University of Kent,        Direct dial: (01227) 827571
Canterbury,                Fax:   (01227) 762811
Kent CT2 7NF. United Kingdom