mission statement - help

Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu May 2 09:24:40 CDT 1996

Is a mission statement for a scientific collection really necessary?

I can't think of anything quite as ridiculous in the world as the
proliferation of absurdly obvious mission statements for every mundane
institution in the world.

You only have to look at the bottom line of job adverts of British
Universities:

"To promote excellence in research and teaching"
"To promote excellence in teaching and research"
"To promote excellence in education and research"
"The promotion of excellence in research and education"
... and so on for one dreary variant after another for each of Britain's
universities.

No shit! And everybody thought universities existed for the purposes of
promoting mediocrity in public transport and knitting!

Mission statement for my tea cup: "To promote excellence in the field of
hot liquid containment" - I think I will go off and ask it to fulfill this
mission now...

--
Wolfgang Wuster
School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, UK
e-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk

Thought for the day: If you see a light at the end of the tunnel,
it is probably a train coming your way.